The 2018 Mathical Book Prize is accepting submissions from October 23 through November 3.
Publishers may submit titles using our online Google form.
Award-winning titles join a selective and ever-growing curated reading list of children’s literary fiction and nonfiction dedicated to discovering the joy, beauty, and power of mathematics in the world around us. Books are chosen to support students’ pleasure reading and independent exploration and growth in the love of mathematics. The selection panel looks first for literary quality; secondly, for well-presented books that contain substantial and inspirational math content.
Mathical titles are promoted nationally among librarians, K-12 teachers, parents, mathematicians, early childhood educators, and science museums, as well as at math events including the National Math Festival in Washington, D.C. Titles are provided to disadvantaged youth in the Bay Area; and are accessible to after-school educators of underserved youth nationally through the First Book network.
2018 Mathical Call for Submissions
All submissions must include book title, author, illustrator, publisher, ISBN, age category, and book description, as well as publisher contact information.
- A single title will be awarded the Mathical Book Prize annually in each of five age categories.
- Additional titles may be named as Honor Books across the same age categories.
- Both fiction and nonfiction titles may be submitted.
- Textbooks, workbooks, kits, and experiment-only books are not eligible.
- All books must originate with a children’s publishing company or division and must be published (not simply distributed) by a publisher incorporated in the U.S.
- Spanish-language editions published in the U.S. simultaneously with English-language editions are eligible.
- Books translated into English are eligible.
What about back list submissions?
The Mathical Selection Committee welcomes nominations for back list titles:
- Currently in print
- Published in 2007-2016
- Never previously submitted for the Mathical Book Prize.
To nominate one or more back list titles for consideration, see the online suggestion form.